This workshop supports doctoral candidates who want to approach their writing in a professional manner and make it more efficient and successful. We will adopt a process perspective on writing in English and deepen our understanding of the tasks that need to be done in each stage of writing. Participants get to know techniques, strategies and resources for each stage of writing and will be supported in transferring these to their ongoing writing projects.
CONTENTS IN BRIEF
- A process approach to academic writing
- Organizing the writing process (e.g. task management, literature management)
- Useful techniques for finding and organising ideas
- Organising and presenting information in a reader-friendly way
- Reaching a writing flow
- Defining areas for revision and correction
- Giving and receiving constructive text feedback
- Standards in scientific writing in English
- Useful resources for writing in English
Participants are asked to bring (parts of) their thesis or other recent work to the workshop so that they may try writing techniques on their own texts (e.g. outline of the thesis, drafts of chapters, drafts of papers). They are expected to come with an open mind towards unfamiliar approaches to academic writing and a willingness to actively take part in group and individual exercises and to share their own experiences.
Please note that this workshop is a writing workshop in English, NOT an English language course.
Doctoral candidates and Postdocs from all departments and fields of study
Ute Henning | TU Darmstadt, SchreibCenter am Sprachenzentrum
Thursday, October 31st, 2019 | 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
Friday, November 1st, 2019 | 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
S1|03 (Old main university building), Room 212